Marketing is a process of understanding consumers and devising ways of providing goods or services based on the demands of the consumers. Marketing is one of the most important aspects of corporate strategy, the end result for which is efficient revenue generation for the firm. The marketing process of an organization aims at getting out a message to the segment that the company is targeting, regarding the product or service that it is offering to these customers.
Good marketing is not all about spending money on advertising, or offering free products as a promotional offer. There are many critical steps involved in efficient marketing. First of them is to know the target market, through a process called Market Research. By researching, the firm identifies the demographics and requirements of the society, who might become potential customers. The Firm has to apply the dynamics of Segmentation, Positioning and Targeting, once the research has been performed. A good marketing strategy cannot be developed by a firm without doing proper groundwork on its potential customers.
Every business (small, medium or large) needs marketing. A product or a service needs to be marketed to be sold. Marketers do the marketing. But what if you don’t have marketing personnel? How can you generate sales and achieve profitability? Actually, anyone can be a good marketer. Whether if you are an owner, ordinary sales personnel, production personnel, or just anyone in a business organization, you can be a good marketer that can play a very important role in boosting your company’s sales and revenue. A great marketing system can run without the need of high profile marketers or a million dollar marketing budget. Likewise, a person can be a better marketer without the need of a college degree in marketing, long years of marketing experience and or a previous high marketing profile. We only need to understand the following simple and basic ways to become an outstanding marketer.
1. Offer quality products or services: Marketing is not all about product promotion. It starts from the production of products to be offered to consumers. Furthermore, marketing does not end at the time you have sold a product to a consumer. It doesn’t stops there. It continues until the customer is satisfied on the product he has purchased or on the product he will buy in the future. Hence, the first thing to do to become a great marketer is to produce and offer the best products to your customers or render the best services to your clients. If you are a marketer in a company who offers poorly manufactured product, then you better tell them to produce more quality products. And if they will not listen to you, you better protect your integrity and reputation and get the heck out of that organization – you can always find a better company.
2. Make a reasonable price: After you have assured the quality of your products, the next step is to set the most reasonable price. The perfect price for a product doesn’t matter how high or low it is. It should follow your target market or consumers. Can you sell a N10,000 naira worth pair of high – quality shoes to people in the lower class? On the other hand, can you convince a corporate executive to buy a N1000 naira cost manufactured pair of shoes from you? If you want to be a good marketer, you need to set the right prices to the right costumers.
3. Choose the right store: A store as it sounds doesn’t only mean the physical store where you put and display your merchandise for sale to customers. It can be an online store, mobile store or a human store. It is the gateway or the medium where you can transfer or exchange your products or services for consideration. An online or an internet based store is today’s breakthrough in marketing. It is less expensive and even more efficient than offline store. Mobile phones can also become a medium of exchange. But of course direct selling is still effective as of today. To be an exceptional marketer, you need to choose the right place where consumers can access your products and services. You need to find the best geographical area, the best website, and the best persons who will knock upon your customers’ doors to showcase your products.
4. Make a convincing promotion: There can never be more convincing words than words that are true. This means a marketer should be honest and shall not commit lies to people. Who says all marketers are liars? Great marketers don’t lie. His words are convincing because they are true. A foolish marketer lies and exaggerates to make a sale. But his false marketing will punish him in the future. If you have a great product and a perfect price, then tell all the truth about it. That’s a great marketing that multiplies and lasts for long. Again, if you or your company cannot produce quality products and cannot set the right price, then you must get out of it. Defend your reputation and integrity. Keep yourself away from committing lies.
5. Be helpful: By helping clients and customers solve their problems, a marketer can become personally closer to them. His customers will start building lasting trust and confidence to him and to his products. Thus, if you help your customers, your customers will also help you.
6. Consider importance and usability: Even if you’re selling the most sophisticated and most powerful stethoscope in the world, you can’t sell it to an accountant. A medical doctor needs and uses it but not an accountant. Simply find the right buyers by considering your product’s usability and importance to them. If you run a website where you place your products for sale, perform a search engine optimization (SEO) technique for attracting relevant visitors who likely need your product. If you are marketing an MBA program course, you may promote it on an online forum of business and entrepreneurship enthusiasts.
7. Give guarantee: Even if a marketer tells the truth and showcase a number of positive testimonials, prospective buyers will not absolutely bite his products. So to hit the complete marketing strategy, a great marketer should guarantee those products. Money back guarantee and product warranties are examples of guarantees you can give to customers. If you are telling the truth, then guarantees will never let you down.
8. Be the no.1 user of your product or service: You can never know better what you do not use. You cannot talk correctly what you do not know. You cannot sell what you cannot talk. So to achieve excellence in marketing, use what you sell. Of course there are some exceptions to this like the use of coffin (don’t be afraid, this is business), but whether we can practically use or not our products – we must know them just like how we know our best friends.
9. Value and reward people: If you want to become a good marketer, you should learn how to say “Thank you”. As I said in the previous list, marketing doesn’t ends at the time you have sold a product to a customer. It is a continuous cycle that needs a good rotation. A great marketer continues and preserves the marketing chain between him and a customer. You sell a product… the buyer buy and give you money…you reward your buyer…then you sell again a product…then the buyer buy and give again money. Rewarding your customers strengthens this cycle.
10. Create lasting relationship: If you have successfully followed the previous nine ways to become a good marketer, then you have probably created now a good relationship with your clients and customers. A great marketer preserves this relationship by giving tender continuing customer and client care.